[Ardour-Dev] OSC control of individual processors?

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Tue Jun 20 07:12:46 PDT 2017

On Tue, 20 Jun 2017, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:

> Excellent, thanks! One question: the addressing of strips seems to rely
> on the banking? That means an action happens like this:
> tell ardour what banksize i want and select bank N
> use strip SSID relative to bank N to perform an operation.
>
> That means I can set banksize to 0 and basically address all
> tracks/buses/vcas from my remote DAW easily, but only as long as I don't
> want to use a banked control surface at the same time. Which I could

Not true, each device may have a different banksize, a different set of
strips, different fader math, etc. That is why /set_surface is
set_surface, the command only affects the surface sending the command.

> Luxury problem: would it be feasible to have Ardour listen to more than
> one OSC port, with each port having different /set_surface settings? So
> that I can have my OSC remote app, my physical fader bank, *and* some
> other fancy remote control at the same time?

As explained above, this is not needed.

> That is assuming the banking logic is contained in the OSC code - if

Each surface has it's own banksize as well as current bank. Ardour saves
each incoming OSC url along with it's set_surface settings.

The GUI settings dialog may give the impression all surfaces must share
the same settings, but the GUI only sets the defaults. That is, it sets
what settings Ardour will use for a new surface that does not send a
set_surface command. A /set_surface command will override those settings
for that surface. Ardour's OSC tries to allow both the most rudimentry OSC
surface to be used like TouchOSC, or a very complex multi-surface setup. I
am looking at being able to "link" two or more surfaces to share one bank
(like a 6 strip surface and a 10 strip surface to work as a 16 strip
surface) as well.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net