[Ardour-Dev] mac vs. linux keybindings

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Fri Feb 7 16:53:47 PST 2014

On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 7:36 PM, Jörn Nettingsmeier <
nettings at stackingdwarves.net> wrote:

> hi *!
>

> after comparing the mac and linux keybindings one by one, i found that
> they are equivalent under the following modifier key abstraction (which we
> have in the CSS of the manual already:
>

> generic linux   mac
> ---------------------
> mod1    ctrl    cmd
> mod2    alt     ctrl
> mod3    shift   shift
> mod4    win     ?

the modN names should not really have been used in the manual. that was
sloppy of me. why not? because they are all legitimate X Window modifier
names too.

the "win" thing isn't really keyboard centric, but is a badly thought out
semantic idea ... a particular modifier (or combination of modifiers) that
would be used to drive all window-show/hide operations. it does NOT
corrrespond to the "Windows" key found on so many PC keyboards.

in reality, it doesn't really work. if you look at the fmt-bindings tool,
you will see that the "<WINDOW>" modifier or whatever i used as the
substitution token, is the same as another well-used modifier. so the lack
of dual bindings is just good luck (with a little bit of care thrown in)
rather than a matter of design.

we should remove the <WINDOW> thing from the bindings.in file and use the
*actual* modifier token (<PRIMARY>, <SECONDARY> etc) instead, to make
collisions between bindings obvious.