[Ardour-Dev] mac vs. linux keybindings

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at stackingdwarves.net
Tue Feb 11 09:58:12 PST 2014

On 02/08/2014 01:53 AM, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 7:36 PM, Jörn Nettingsmeier
> <nettings at stackingdwarves.net <mailto:nettings at stackingdwarves.net>> wrote:
>
>     hi *!
>

>     after comparing the mac and linux keybindings one by one, i found
>     that they are equivalent under the following modifier key
>     abstraction (which we have in the CSS of the manual already:
>

>     generic linux   mac
>     ---------------------
>     mod1    ctrl    cmd
>     mod2    alt     ctrl
>     mod3    shift   shift
>     mod4    win     ?
>

> the modN names should not really have been used in the manual. that was
> sloppy of me. why not? because they are all legitimate X Window modifier
> names too.

oh, they are not user-visible (except for a few incidents which are most
likely typos). they only existed in the CSS, which replaced them with
the appropriate key name.

> the "win" thing isn't really keyboard centric, but is a badly thought
> out semantic idea ... a particular modifier (or combination of
> modifiers) that would be used to drive all window-show/hide operations.
> it does NOT corrrespond to the "Windows" key found on so many PC keyboards.

ah. thanks for that clarification. i was wondering: is the win key a
modifier anyway, or a normal key? or is there no such restriction
anymore with modern keyboards?

> in reality, it doesn't really work. if you look at the fmt-bindings
> tool, you will see that the "<WINDOW>" modifier or whatever i used as
> the substitution token, is the same as another well-used modifier. so
> the lack of dual bindings is just good luck (with a little bit of care
> thrown in) rather than a matter of design.
>
> we should remove the <WINDOW> thing from the bindings.in
> <http://bindings.in> file and use the *actual* modifier token
> (<PRIMARY>, <SECONDARY> etc) instead, to make collisions between
> bindings obvious.

ok, i'll see if i can find the time to look at bindings.in later this
week. for now, i will remove all occurrences of the "win" modifier from
the manual and generate the mac and linux keybindings from the same
source, on the fly.

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Tonmeister VDT

http://stackingdwarves.net