[Ardour-Dev] [Ardour-Cvs] r11525 - ardour2/branches/2.0-ongoing/tools

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Wed Mar 7 03:57:29 PST 2012

On 02/27/2012 03:55 PM, pauld at addisababa.dreamhost.com wrote:
> Author: paul
> Date: 2012-02-27 06:55:52 -0800 (Mon, 27 Feb 2012)
> New Revision: 11525
>
> Added:
>    ardour2/branches/2.0-ongoing/tools/build-gtk-stack
> Log:
> new script to build (almost) the entire GTK stack from released
> tarballs of all dependencies, particularly on OS X

Wow, Paul! Chapeau.
I wish I had that script 2 years ago.

When running for the hills I usually curse:
CFLAGS="-arch i386 -arch ppc -arch x86_64 -headerpad_max_install_names
-isysroot... -mmacosx-version-min=10.5" \
./configure --disable-dependency-tracking \
  --enable-shared --disable-static

In particular the -headerpad_... will come in handy when changing the
install-path of shared libs. Maybe your PREFIX is longer than
"@executable_path/../Frameworks/" and you have not yet run into the
issue that it won't fit.

Universal binaries require some special detour for libffi and extra
lifo'ing for some gnome libs. I don't remember the details; only that it
took me a very long day and even longer night to successfully compile an
universal GTKOSX build env; but I kept the config.log files, so when I
find a quiet minute I'll see if I can tweak your script.

It's probably smarter to create individual ppc, i386 and x86_64 binaries
for Ardour. Multi-arch GTK libs alone are >100 MBytes and Ardour is not
an app that PPL share from Mac to Mac via USB-stick^Wdrop-box, is it?
Yet unneeded architectures can be stripped from dylibs easily and
universal GTK shared-libs will come in handy for other projects.

You just made all GTK-OSX devs happy. All three of them :)

Cheers!
robin