[Ardour-Dev] [Ardour-Cvs] r11525 - ardour2/branches/2.0-ongoing/tools

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Wed Mar 7 04:42:30 PST 2012

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 6:57 AM, Robin Gareus <robin at gareus.org> wrote:
> On 02/27/2012 03:55 PM, pauld at addisababa.dreamhost.com wrote:
>> Author: paul
>> Date: 2012-02-27 06:55:52 -0800 (Mon, 27 Feb 2012)
>> New Revision: 11525
>>
>> Added:
>>    ardour2/branches/2.0-ongoing/tools/build-gtk-stack
>> Log:
>> new script to build (almost) the entire GTK stack from released
>> tarballs of all dependencies, particularly on OS X
>
> Wow, Paul! Chapeau.
> I wish I had that script 2 years ago.

i have a new lion server mac mini and i thought it was time to codify things :)

> When running for the hills I usually curse:
> CFLAGS="-arch i386 -arch ppc -arch x86_64 -headerpad_max_install_names
> -isysroot... -mmacosx-version-min=10.5" \
> ./configure --disable-dependency-tracking \
>  --enable-shared --disable-static

isysroot doesn't work on 10.4.

the headerpad stuff is a good idea, i've been lobbying GNOME to
include that for OS X compilation. 10.5 is absolutely not the minimum
version - you'd be suprised how many people are still on Tiger. what
is true is that 10.5 (or, i think) 10.6 still allows you to build for
10.4; 10.7 no longer does without some significant work hacking with 2
versions of XCode. what does --disable-dependency-tracking do?

> Universal binaries require some special detour for libffi and extra

i'm not planning ever distributing universals. the extra size is too
much of a price to pay for "oh, i don't have to guess what
architecture i'm on".

> It's probably smarter to create individual ppc, i386 and x86_64 binaries

at present, i don't even plan on doing an x86_64 distribution.
probably sometime in the lifecycle of 3.0 i'll start doing that. i'm
not clear that it offers many benefits, though i am sure there are
some. if/when that happens it will probably be lion-and-above only.

--p