[Ardour-Dev] what linux audio project do you miss?

headless headless_ at freenet.de
Thu Mar 3 12:52:33 PST 2011

Hi,

oh thats a great question, there is missing so much.. Maybe its better
to discuss this on the linux-audio-dev or -user Lists?

Since a year im thinking of kind of a virtual midi controller and
sequencer designed for the use, but not only, with touch and espacially
multi-touch-screens. Sadly atm the development of multitouch in Linux is
going to copy all the fanzy but toyish apple-stuff.. BUT imagine what
this technolagy is capable of in audio production. I've stompled about
some stuff for the Iphone thats great.. but apple and its policy sucks.
Would be great to have all the nice linux-audio stuff running on androi
or linux in general.

Here are just some random example what a touch-interface would be able:

http://www.youtube.com/user/headless0815?feature=mhum#p/f/0/Zv5KI2TNGTE

http://www.youtube.com/user/headless0815?feature=mhum#p/f/1/GZ5GGofqUfg

and the mighty lemur JazzMutant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_BMnwIbWJw

what is based on linux, but closed so far as i know, and would be
possible to build on normal hardware for the fraction of the price.. if
the software is there.

As stated, im working on a concept for a kind of modular Sequencer and
virt. Midi(or OSC?) controller and will post this soon on linux-audio I
would be more motivated if there is more interest.

In general linux is missing a lot of stuff for the production of
electronic music, recording stuff is quite ahead with com. products. Me
espacially needs a good combination of straight line and loop based
sequencer (little bit like abbleton?). Atm im working with a
combination of seq24 and Qtractor (mabe Ardour when midi gets stable).
But that sucks with latency and workflow..

cons,
Carsten