[Ardour-Dev] Fwd: [Ardour-Cvs] r9939 - ardour2/branches/3.0/gtk2_ardour

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu Jul 28 06:13:13 PDT 2011

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 8:00 AM, Robin Gareus <robin at gareus.org> wrote:

> What we were discussing is simply how ardour displays the number :)
>
> Of course you can do it via MIDNAM by assigning an octal number as
> "name" for each parameter:

i wouldn't call PC's a "parameter", but i'm just being pedantic.

> <PatchNameList>
>  <Patch Name="11" ProgramChange="0" />

that was precisely my point. more precisely - very few synth users
actually want to see "patch 11", they'd like to see "11 - Creaturz" or
even just "Creaturz". focusing too much on how to display the numeric
program change value itself seems like a waste of effort, but as you
note, generating MIDNAM's for every device is unrealistic (maybe even
in the extreme).