[Ardour-Dev] Fwd: [Ardour-Cvs] r9939 - ardour2/branches/3.0/gtk2_ardour

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Thu Jul 28 05:00:02 PDT 2011

On 07/28/2011 01:29 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 5:43 AM, Dave Phillips <dlphillips at woh.rr.com> wrote:
>> Robin Gareus wrote:
>>>
>>> unless you intent ardour to make a statement in favor of "start counting
>>> at one": I've attached a patch to
>>> http://tracker.ardour.org/view.php?id=4207 to make this a config option
>>>

>> Hi Robin, hi Paul,
>>
>> Yes, this should be a config option. IIRC some old MIDI synths (e.g. the
>> Ensoniq Mirage, some Korg synths) use yet another patch numbering system,
>> i.e. 00 to 07 (or 01 to 08, of course) per bank, so the next bank would be
>> numbered 10 to 17, then 20 to 27, and so on. Perhaps this system could be
>> added to the options ?
>
> my gut feeling is that i'd rather handle this via MIDNAM files, but
> that may be absurd.

AFAIK, MIDNAM is for mapping midi parameters.

What we were discussing is simply how ardour displays the number :)

Of course you can do it via MIDNAM by assigning an octal number as
"name" for each parameter:
<PatchNameList>
  <Patch Name="11" ProgramChange="0" />
..

and eventually collect names for each and every synth out there. Seems
the right way to go, even though it's indeed absurd in the current stage
of development.