[Ardour-Dev] testing of 2.X SVN requested

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Sat Jul 3 15:39:54 PDT 2010

On 07/03/2010 11:43 PM, fons at kokkinizita.net wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 02, 2010 at 10:51:31PM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 7:07 PM,  <fons at kokkinizita.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Still refuses to export more than stereo, but it plays
>>> happily after five exports.
>>
>> multichannel export was implemented in ardour3 a couple of years ago.
>> it would be too complex to backport it.
>
> I've been wondering what's so difficult about it.
>
> For 'export region' the only difference is the number of
> channels written to the exported file. This can't really
> be that problematic.

Hi Fons,

Did you have a look at the ardour3 export dialog?
I think it's more of a GUI issue that the underlying audio-engine
that makes it difficult to backport.

> For the 'global' export function, what is missing is the
> selection of *what* should be exported. As things are,
> this is the output of the master strip. For multichannel
> the master is probably not used at all, and its role is
> taken over by some multichannel bus. So the only thing
> missing is the selection of that bus as the signal to be
> exported.
>
> For me, a multichannel 'region export' would be just fine,
> as in almost all cases I do have the time to record the
> final version to a new track before it has to be exported.

Isn't is possible to just use the audio-file from that track?
Don't export, but just copy the file from the
<session-name>/interchange/<session>/audiofiles/ folder.

> As it is, Ardour very much feels like a 'demo' version of
> a commercial program - you can do whatever you like,
> including sophisticated editing and mixing, but you don't
> have access to the final result (except by some trickery).

Hehe, well I'd guess that less than 1% of all productions use more than
two channels and probably most of that 1% use ac3-jack for 5.1 in a bus.
ardour is still below version 3.11 and already usable; besides
next to trickery, you could just implement it.

> Ciao,

Cheers!
robin