[Ardour-Dev] testing of 2.X SVN requested

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Sat Jul 3 14:43:08 PDT 2010

On Fri, Jul 02, 2010 at 10:51:31PM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 7:07 PM,  <fons at kokkinizita.net> wrote:
>
> > Still refuses to export more than stereo, but it plays
> > happily after five exports.
>
> multichannel export was implemented in ardour3 a couple of years ago.
> it would be too complex to backport it.

I've been wondering what's so difficult about it.

For 'export region' the only difference is the number of
channels written to the exported file. This can't really
be that problematic.

For the 'global' export function, what is missing is the
selection of *what* should be exported. As things are,
this is the output of the master strip. For multichannel
the master is probably not used at all, and its role is
taken over by some multichannel bus. So the only thing
missing is the selection of that bus as the signal to be
exported.

For me, a multichannel 'region export' would be just fine,
as in almost all cases I do have the time to record the
final version to a new track before it has to be exported.

As it is, Ardour very much feels like a 'demo' version of
a commercial program - you can do whatever you like,
including sophisticated editing and mixing, but you don't
have access to the final result (except by some trickery).

Ciao,

--
FA

O tu, che porte, correndo si ?