[Ardour-Dev] correctly falling back to the base language

Mike Taht mike.taht at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 09:23:21 PST 2010

Yet another subject change, sort of, here...

I had run into a problem with the spanish translation that maybe people that
do this more regularly than I.

I've been lax on getting updates done to the spanish translation and
I hope to pull together one in time this time (but doubt it, as I just
got this mail, and I'm not the main dude for it anyway)

My default language LANG variable was set to es_NI.UTF-8. (spanish,
nicaragua), and ardour's translation was es_ES.UTF-8.

Many programs worked correctly, with gettext files being found in the
es_ES.UTF-8 domain, but ardour insisted on falling back to english
(system default) rather than
es_ES.UTF-8.

To fix that, I ended up having to set the LANGUAGE variable with a
series of fallbacks. Is that what is supposed to happen?

Spanish also has several major dialects but in ardour we only found
about 5 words that were not universally understood with the words we
chose to describe things.

- so we decided to just stick with es_ES for it.

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 4:43 AM, Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc at rncbc.org> wrote:
> off topic indeed,
>
> On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 09:52:30 +0000, Chris Ross wrote:
>> On 01/20/2010 09:30 AM, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
>>> i tend to agree that portuguese (pt_PT) and brazilian (pt_BR) are two
>>> _different_ languages, although sharing one same trunk (archaic xv
>>> century
>>> portuguese) both forms have been drifting apart on all parameters:
>>> lexical,
>>> syntactical, grammatical and phonetically. so you cannot say in
> complete
>>> exactitude that one is just a dialect form of the other. they're
>>> different
>>> branches already. perhaps, european portuguese (pt_PT) have evolved
>>> through
>>> modern age ways while brazilian (pt_BR) still is the most resemblant to
>>> portuguese as it was spoken 5 centuries ago.
>>
>> Getting a bit off topic! Is it /really/ that different to say en_GB and
>> en_US? Personally I don't think so. I also disagree that Brazilian
>> Portuguese has stuck in the C16th. It has evolved significantly, brought
>
>> in many influences (indigenous languages for example) that European
>> Portuguese hasn't. Basically though, the accent is different, spelling
>> is altered somewhat and there are a few different words for the same
>> things. Just like the variants of English in fact.
>>

> afaics, excluding phonetics, the english variants don't show differences
> in syntax nor in grammar but in orthography only. eg. color vs. colour,
> center vs. centre, etc.
>
> although re. pt_PT vs. pt_BR, these differences are rather particular they
> are pervasive eg. pronouns and adverbs are used in reverse sentence order,
> that being just one of the notable syntactical differences between pt_BR
> and pt_PT literacy.
>
> i did not say that brazillian was stuck, but it is not the farthest away
> from
> ancient portuguese. it is very common that brazillian people find that
> shocking at first hearing, but there's nothing to be ashame of, from either
> side of the pond: it's a fact, not a biased opinion ;)
>
> byee
> --
> rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela
> rncbc at rncbc.org