[Ardour-Dev] Fwd: correctly falling back to the base language

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Wed Jan 20 09:31:53 PST 2010

this was meant to go to the list ...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com>
Date: Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 12:31 PM
Subject: Re: [Ardour-Dev] correctly falling back to the base language
To: Mike Taht <mike.taht at gmail.com>

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 12:23 PM, Mike Taht <mike.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yet another subject change, sort of, here...
>
> I had run into a problem with the spanish translation that maybe people that
> do this more regularly than I.
>
> I've been lax on getting updates done to the spanish translation and
> I hope to pull together one in time this time (but doubt it, as I just
> got this mail, and I'm not the main dude for it anyway)
>
> My default language LANG variable was set to es_NI.UTF-8. (spanish,
> nicaragua), and ardour's translation was es_ES.UTF-8.
>
> Many programs worked correctly, with gettext files being found in the
> es_ES.UTF-8 domain, but ardour insisted on falling back to english
> (system default) rather than
> es_ES.UTF-8.
>
> To fix that, I ended up having to set the LANGUAGE variable with a
> series of fallbacks. Is that what is supposed to happen?
>
> Spanish also has several major dialects but in ardour we only found
> about 5 words that were not universally understood with the words we
> chose to describe things.
>
> - so we decided to just stick with es_ES for it.

my understanding is that we, collectively, have a mistake here for years.
the main/default/primary variant on the language should go into a file
called <ll>.po, where <ll> is the two letter language code.

anyone who has set any of these environment variables:

LANGUAGE
LC_ALL
LC_MESSAGES
LANG

(in that order of priority) to any of

<ll>
<ll>_<CC>

(<CC> is a country code) will get the <ll> translation. If there
exists a <ll>_<CC> translation other than the "default" one, then user
needs to
have the highest-priority-and-otherwise-set of the envvards set to
<ll>_<CC> to find it rather than the <ll> version.

so, your spanish translation is now (as of about 20 mins ago) es.po,
and will be used for any case where the highest priority envvar is set
es or es_<CC>.

if someone cooks up a mexico-local version, it will be es_MX. anyone
who has the envvars set to es or anything *except* es_MX will get
es.po; if they have the right one(s) set to es_MX, they will get
es_MX.

all clear?