[Ardour-Dev] Some issues with 2.8.10

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Fri Aug 13 06:25:56 PDT 2010

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 9:20 AM,  <fons at kokkinizita.net> wrote:
> Some issues I bumped into recently (ardour 2.8.10):
> (they appear to be 'features, not bugs)
>
> 1. Ardour refuses to load (LADSPA) plugins that do not operate
> 'in place'. I can see the advantage of calling a chain of plugins
> all operating on the same buffers - it saves some housekeeping
> in the host. But still this IMHO a bad idea. If a plugin can't
> naturally work 'in place', the only option is to make copies of
> either input or output in the plugin. If OTOH the host provides
> separate output buffers when a plugin needs them, this does not
> involve an extra copy. Nor does it have to complicate buffer
> management in the host: after this plugin it can just go on
> to use the new buffer as it would otherwise do with the original
> one. If a second plugin in the chain is again not in-place capable,
> the host can revert to the original buffer. So this requires at
> most a second buffer in the host, with no copies being required.

worth filing a request in mantis. this won't be fixed in 2.X, but its
something that could be considered for 3.X.

it was basically a design decision based on the factors you raised,
and my awareness that steinberg was going to drop their out-of-place
variant from VST and AU never had an out-of-place variant.

> 2. Solo logic.

This will not be addressed in 2.X. The solo design in 3.0 is a
complete top-to-bottom overhaul in just about every way imaginable. It
will not be backported. The design in 2.X is broken. I believe you
will find the 3.0 solo system much more agreeable.