[Ardour-Dev] Some issues with 2.8.10

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Fri Aug 13 06:50:35 PDT 2010

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 09:25:56AM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:

> it was basically a design decision based on the factors you raised,
> and my awareness that steinberg was going to drop their out-of-place
> variant from VST and AU never had an out-of-place variant.

Which is strange. Because

1. In-place makes sense only when there is a simple one-to-one
relation of inputs and outputs, and

2. If a host provides a click-free in/out for the plugin (and
that is not a luxury) it has to keep a copy of the input anyway.

> > 2. Solo logic.
>
> This will not be addressed in 2.X. The solo design in 3.0 is a
> complete top-to-bottom overhaul in just about every way imaginable. It
> will not be backported. The design in 2.X is broken. I believe you
> will find the 3.0 solo system much more agreeable.

Probably yes, but I'm reluctant of continuing to use an app that
includes yet one more (for me) useless feature (midi) with all the
complexity an risks that brings. At least for work where any form
of failure means irrecoverable loss. It doesn't matter if the
problem is the result of a bug, or of the operator being required
to pay attention to unused features only to avoid having them
interfere by accident.

Ciao,

--
FA