[Ardour-Dev] How does a peak file get opened (if it already exists)?

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Apr 7 12:17:47 PDT 2010

Hi Paul,

I managed to fix the waveform problem which was quite simple once I realised
what was going on.  It turned out to be due to the fact that Windows has a
slightly bizarre notion that text files are somehow different from binary
files.  When reading from a "text mode" file, Windows will abort the read
operation if certain characters are found.  It's all a legacy from DOS but
basically, there was an assumption that the peak files were text files and
the reads were aborting after just a few dozen bytes.

Fortunately the fix was pretty easy and I'm now seeing the waveforms.
Thanks for yor help.

John