[Ardour-Dev] How does a peak file get opened (if it already exists) ?

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Apr 5 11:50:58 PDT 2010

Hi Paul,

Just to bring you up to date on my Windows port, I'd reached a stage where there were lots of places where functions would need to be updated to recognise Windows style paths (in addition to the *nix style paths).  Obviously, lots of things were being affected by this but the most obvious visual manifestation was the absence of peak waveforms on my timeline regions.  A week ago, the peak files weren't even being generated (purely because the folder path was being assumed to be in *nix style).

That problem is now resolved but I'm still not seeing any waveforms on the timeline regions.  My educated guess is that when a session gets loaded, there must be somewhere in the code where existing peak files get found, opened and analysed to produce the visible waveforms.  I can see a few places where waveform preparation is obviously taking place but unfortunately, what I can't find is the originating open() function.  I've found a place where the peak files get created if they don't already exist.  And I've also found a place where they get updated if the audio data has changed.  But I can't see where they simply get opened and read for subsequent conversion into waveforms.  Can you point me in the right direction, or is my assumption wrong?  Maybe there's a different strategy at play?

John