[Ardour-Dev] SuperRapidScreenUpdates are neither rapid, nor super.

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Mar 10 06:59:57 PDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 9:54 AM, John Emmas <johne53 at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

>>  You might have missed a couple of my recent posts Paul.  I managed to
> install a system monitor halled 'htop' which provided some interesting
> figures (basicaly, from Ardour 2.6 onwards, CPU usage is 100% when in
> moving timeline mode).   I posted some comparison figures a couple of days
> ago, on Sunday.

i'm not suprised by this at all. it was pretty intense to use this before
nick's changes, and i'm sure its worse now.

as i've noted several times, this was a compile-time-only experiment, and
its not code that i'm interested in at this time. we feel free to break this
mode, almost certainly have already, and almost do so again certainly will
until The Glorious Future when we move to a new Canvas widget. that is the
only way that "stationary playhead" mode is ever going to work acceptably.