[Ardour-Dev] SuperRapidScreenUpdates are neither rapid, nor super.

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Mar 10 06:54:27 PDT 2009

Hi Paul,

> editor_canvas.cc contains Editor::scroll_canvas_horizontally() - you will
> find that we change the scrollbar (for appearance sake) and then
> "manually" move each part of the canvas as needed.
>
> [ ... ]
>
> the GUI thread is not using very much CPU, and we'd have to add a lot more
> to it before it would be overloaded.

Okay, I'll take a look at editor_canvas.cc just as soon as I get some time
(will probably take a few days) and I'll see if I can find a reason for the
deterioration.  However....

>> But at this point in time - and expecially, given the evidence that
>> the problem has crept up slowly and progressively
>

> there's no evidence of this john. you might be the only person on the
> planet who is using the stationary playhead mode, certainly with any
> recent versions of ardour. the problem could easily have started with a
> single commit.
>
> [ ... ]
>
> an overworked thread implies that a CPU monitor (and i cannot believe that
> you have been unable to find this on your system) would show the CPU
> maxxed out.

You might have missed a couple of my recent posts Paul.  I managed to
install a system monitor halled 'htop' which provided some interesting
figures (basicaly, from Ardour 2.6 onwards, CPU usage is 100% when in
moving timeline mode).   I posted some comparison figures a couple of days
ago, on Sunday.

Also, I used svn update to go back to version 2.6.  Just to recap, 2.4 was
showing 24 updates/second but 2.7 was struggling to maintain 5 updates/sec.
I was hoping that 2.6 would either be 5 or 24 but in fact, it was 15.

Kjetil S. Matheussen suggested an updated graphics driver I could try, so
I'll explore that avenue too, just as soon as I can find a bit of spare
time.

Cheers,

John