[Ardour-Dev] Trouble with imported files

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sun Mar 8 19:59:17 PDT 2009

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 10:39 PM, Fons Adriaensen <fons at kokkinizita.net>wrote:

> > sounds like your using the wrong tool to make the copy. what are you
> using?
> > i am fairly sure that tar(1) will preserve the links *as links*, and not
> > pretend that there are actually two copies.
>
> There is no difference between two hard links.
> Tar can ignore soft links, as can cp and rsync,
> but a hard link is the same thing as the original.
> None of them, afaik, keeps a list of files already
> copied to detect duplicates. It would fail anyway
> if the copies are not made using a single command.

i think you are incorrect about this. from the man page for tar:

      --check-links
              warn if number of hard links to the file on the filesystem
mis-
              match the number of links recorded in the archive

and from the newest version of tar @ FSF:

     New option --hard-dereference

     During archive creation, dereferences hard links and stores the files
they refer to, instead of creating usual hard link members (type '1').
I'll muse on this further as I sleep (I take, Fons, that you've abandoned
such trifling matters :)

--p