[Ardour-Dev] build system, libs, cmdline

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon Jan 26 03:16:14 PST 2009

On Mon, 2009-01-26 at 11:01 +0000, John Emmas wrote:
> [...]

that flag is useful but ... it doesn't override the "configure" style
checking. if you actually measure the performance of scons, you will
find that there is no single thing that makes it slow. the actual
configure checks are fairly fast. the slowest step appears to be md5sum
checking of all dependents against their last known state, along with
computing current dependencies. that flag says "dependencies have not
changed" and so saves a little time. it doesn't help much with a
single-file recompile, though.

waf fixes all this, without changing the basic structure of the build
system. there have been some reservations about whether or not waf is
"mature" enough to handle building something like ardour, which is the
main reason we have not switched to it.

as for IDE's ... people are obviously welcome to use whatever they want,
but the official build system is required to be (a) almost entirely
platform independent (b) not integrated with an editor. XCode on OS X is
probably one of the nicest IDE's around, but if ardour had adopted it in
some strange parallel universe, linux compilation would be a mess.