[Ardour-Dev] Licensing and enforced payments

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 11:01:51 PST 2009

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 2:05 PM, John Rigg <arddev at sound-man.co.uk> wrote:

> A sound engineer I sometimes work with is still using the 0.99
> system I originally set up for him. His reason is that it does
> the work he requires of it and it is stable. Many audio engineers
> have a similar attitude towards software, ie. if it ain't broke why
> fix it? If your income depends on *stable* software, it would be
> foolish to keep upgrading unless you are totally confident that
> you can deal with the potential problems.
>
> John

Believe me, I am well aware of that attitude in software, and often have it
myself.  But .9x had its share of problems that to my knowledge will not be
fixed.  Even when running and designing shows using certain configurations,
I may start testing other stuff to replace it outside of the show to use on
my next design.  Likewise while I won't change versions in the middle of a
project without good reason, I will upgrade ofr better functionality and
stability between projects.  Just because something works doesn't mean it
can't work better. Not a matter of fixing it there, it is a matter of
realising that improvements can and will be made.

         Seablade