[Ardour-Dev] Licensing and enforced payments

John Rigg arddev at sound-man.co.uk
Sat Jan 24 11:05:31 PST 2009

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 09:03:07AM -0000, John Emmas wrote:
> From: "Thomas Vecchione"
> >
> >On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 2:25 PM, John Emmas wrote:
> >>Believe it or not, some of the reporters were even still running Version
> >>0.99 !!
> >>

> >[ ... ]
> >
> >For another thing, I would question that ANYONE is still using .9x series,
> >
> I'm inclined to agree with Thomas here - and yet that's what they said in
> their reports.  It surely discredits any bug report if the reporter can't
> even report the correct product version.

A sound engineer I sometimes work with is still using the 0.99
system I originally set up for him. His reason is that it does
the work he requires of it and it is stable. Many audio engineers
have a similar attitude towards software, ie. if it ain't broke why
fix it? If your income depends on *stable* software, it would be
foolish to keep upgrading unless you are totally confident that
you can deal with the potential problems.

John