[Ardour-Dev] ardour live cd with suse studio?

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at stackingdwarves.net
Sat Jan 24 05:04:28 PST 2009

hi everybody!

today i came across an interesting option for eventually creating an
ardour live cd as a marketing instrument and to gain some income.

novell are testing a service called "suse studio", which is a web-based
service to create your own custom spins of opensuse, optionally
including 3rd-party software not yet packaged by novell.

the new and interesting aspect about this is that they will check your
tailored spin, and if it fits certain criteria, will support it with
security updates in an automated fashion. i don't know precisely what
those criteria are, but i guess it boils down to having a package
manager and online update tools installed.

disclaimer: long-time opensuse user, i find it's a nice environment to
build ardour. it did (and does have) its share of annoyances, but the
configurator (YaST) is exceptional, and the distro is very up-to-date.
biggest gripe is lack of easy dist-upgrade (it's possible, but
non-obvious) and weird versioning (like, 9.3 to 10.0 will give you a new
background color, while 10.1 introduced a new c compiler new glibc and
new package manager :)

best,

jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier

Verantwortlicher für Veranstaltungstechnik

Audio and event engineer
Ambisonic surround recordings

nettings at stackingdwarves.net
+49 177 7937487

As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between
our safety and our ideals. - Barack Hussein Obama