[Ardour-Dev] Licensing and enforced payments

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu Jan 22 04:56:37 PST 2009

On Thu, 2009-01-22 at 12:08 +0100, schoappied wrote:
> Paul Davis wrote:

> > All this talk about licensing is silly though. What is much more likely
> > to happen is that any binary downloads from ardour.org will be forced
> > through an optional donate/pay/subscribe page and then proceed to a
> > one-time download URL.
> >

> The 'Radiohead way'?

Well, I hadn't thought of it that way, but I suppose its a reasonable
comparison. I don't really like asking people for pay-before-download,
which is why ardour's only nag screen shows up *after* export. However,
with 10k downloads of various OS X binary packages per month, the idea
of collecting just a small fraction of that as a 1 time donation is
somewhat attractive. It could cause a drop in the number of downloads,
or it might not. We'll have to wait and see.

--p