[Ardour-Dev] Licensing and enforced payments

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at stackingdwarves.net
Thu Jan 22 06:09:12 PST 2009

Paul Davis wrote:
> I don't really like asking people for pay-before-download,
> which is why ardour's only nag screen shows up *after* export. However,
> with 10k downloads of various OS X binary packages per month, the idea
> of collecting just a small fraction of that as a 1 time donation is
> somewhat attractive. It could cause a drop in the number of downloads,
> or it might not. We'll have to wait and see.

the one issue i see with that is that it might keep people from updating
frequently.
now updates are a traditional source of revenue for commercial software
products, but otoh, maintaining and supporting out-of-date releases is
painful. costs or other complications for updating (in addition to the
risk of changing a running system) might mean less fun on irc and
mailing lists. i don't say that's a showstopper, just that it should be
considered.

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier

Verantwortlicher für Veranstaltungstechnik

Audio and event engineer
Ambisonic surround recordings

nettings at stackingdwarves.net
+49 177 7937487