[Ardour-Dev] Ardour CD's [was: Re: funding priorities]

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Tue Jan 20 18:54:00 PST 2009

Gian Perrone wrote:
> Sean Corbett wrote:
>> That seems reasonable.  It will probably be done by the end of
>> February.  Specifically what should the licensing be for the track?
>> And because IANAL, what would the implications for the band be?  They
>> would still be able to sell the song through the regular channels,
>> correct?  Also, I would it perhaps be desirable to post the original
>> session somewhere for prospective users to check out?
> Inclusion on "compilation CDs" and such is a pretty standard thing.
> It doesn't limit the band's options - they are just granting a
> non-exclusive royalty-free license for that song in perpetuity to the
> person/organisation that is making the compilation.  A simple
> agreement of about 25 words or less signed by the copyright holder
> should be sufficient (or it always has been in the past when we've had
> stuff included on compilations).
>
> With that in mind, I would definitely be interested in contributing a
> track if there is interest in this idea going forward (we've done an
> EP and an album using Ardour).  It seems like it could be advantageous
> to both the project and the bands involved - the bands get a little
> bit of exposure (hopefully through some sort of coverage of the
> release in Linux/Free software blogs and media), and Ardour is shown
> to be a capable real-world DAW that is being used to produce quality
> recordings, hopefully while turning a bit of profit for the project at
> the same time!

It sounds like you have some experience with this process. I am certain
that this idea is going to be taken forward.

Do you have an example contract that we can use as a template?

So far we have two definite contributors. I think we should aim for 20.
Once we have the contract details we can make a public announcement on
the website/forum, user blogs and other linux Audio lists for those
people who don't follow here.

Cheers.

--
Patrick Shirkey