[Ardour-Dev] Alsa works, Ardour/Jack fails

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Jan 13 03:47:07 PST 2009

On Tue, 2009-01-13 at 06:33 -0500, Mike Mazarick wrote:
> Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> > Also, have you tried using another jack app to playback audio to each
> > channel like alsaplayer for example?
>
> Aplay seems to work fine.  Of course, I don't have an 'ardour equivalent' so
> that I can determine if it is the driver or alsa/jack.

use any jack app (even something as trivial as jack_metro). use qjackctl
to connect its output to each channel in turn. this will narrow down
where the error is.

> Since Jack/Ardour works with RME and other cards, I'm thinking driver, but
> it would help if it was confirmed that it also worked with other sync'd
> cards like several Delta 1010s in a system.

this has been confirmed. i think the max count so far is 5 delta 1010's.

> That's what I get for trying to 'kill two birds with one stone', providing
> QC on a driver by 'stress testing' it's limits and working up a new
> application.

actually, this is a little unfair as a "stress test". most drivers are
not written with the idea of syncing multiple instances of the h/w. it
just so happens that it works.

if you're seriously interested in "pro-level" stuff, you wouldn't choose
multiple devices like this. get yourself the right hardware and save
yourself a lot of hassle, now and into the future.

see also:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/remote-possibilities-acoustic-music-location-recording/355183-doing-common-thing-uncommon-way.html

--p