[Ardour-Dev] PD for Ardour

torbenh torbenh at gmx.de
Mon Dec 7 09:28:25 PST 2009

On Fri, Dec 04, 2009 at 01:19:08PM -0800, John Delaney wrote:
> Thanks for the info.  Lua is popular at school, here, so I'll have a
> fair amount of support if I go in that direction.  This sounds like a
> good learning/banging my head into a wall for fun project... perhaps a
> masters thesis as well...

i started working on a python binding.
i am using pyplusplus to generate it out of C++ header files.

needed to patch gccxml and pyplusplus a bit, to make them not choke.
the generated code needs some patches to compile.
it also requires a git version of boost::python.

i am wrapping the class Session... and 2 out of 169 files dont compile.

if somebody knows, how to specify call_policies with
boost::python::indexing_suite
this could fix most problems.

the docs are not very good.
and there seem to be 2 interface versions available.

working with boost::python is not for people who think STL error
messages suck :)

i switched to being happy when the compiler only spits out 10KB of
errors.

> On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 12:35 PM, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 3:29 PM, John Delaney <a.pet.rock at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I don't know where Midi support is, yet, in Ardour, but this could
> >> certainly solve that problem, though creating the musical score, this
> >> would not do.
> >
> > no, MIDI is not a part of the answer here.
> >
> > You can already control almost everything "global" in Ardour,
> > including activating all main menu items, via OSC. You can also
> > control per-track/bus settings such as mute/gain/solo/rec-enable via
> > OSC too. This provides integration at that level, but this has nothing
> > really to do with what Max4Live is all about.
> >
> > Max4Live is a fairly deep integration of a Max runtime into Live along
> > with even deeper integration of the GUIs for M4L "objects" into the
> > main Live GUI.
> >
> > To do this properly, Ardour (specifically libardour) needs a language
> > binding, at the very least. We have batted about ideas about the right
> > language for years - Lua, Scheme, Chicken, Python have all been
> > discussed. Nothing has been done. If somebody really wants to make a
> > move on this kind of idea, this is where to start. Oh, and don't go
> > playing with 2.X, because that's feature frozen, none of what you do
> > there will ever be merged, and libardour looks pretty different in 3.X
> > anyway.
> >
> > At this point, no particular language is "blessed", so someone who is
> > actually motivated would do well just to pick something and go with it
> > for now.
> >
> > --p

torben Hohn