[Ardour-Dev] waveform display for master track

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Fri Nov 21 03:55:40 PST 2008

On Fri, 2008-11-21 at 18:48 +0700, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> > Although I don't know ardours internals very well, I think it
> > should be very easy. Using Torbehns suggestion to
> > add an "-export" command to Ardour, the feature can be
> > implemented like this:
> >
> > void update_master_thread(){
> >    while(true){
> >       wait(update_master);
> >       save_session("/tmp/tmp.session"));
> >       system("ardour -export /tmp/tmp.wav /tmp/tmp.session");
> >       insert_wav_in_mastertrack("/tmp/tmp.wav");
> >    }
> > }

this is simply broken for all kinds of reasons that i am not going to
begin to explain.

> > void ARDOUR::something_has_changed_somewhere_callback(){
> >   signal(update_master);
> > }
> >

> > It's not a very efficient solution, but maybe good enough.

not only will it not work very well, but its more time consuming, more
problematic and involves more work than the tape mode track solution and
does save *any* disk space at all!

if this solution is supposed to be "workable" then the tape mode track
solution should be "fantastic".