[Ardour-Dev] waveform display for master track

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Fri Nov 21 04:19:01 PST 2008

Paul Davis wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-11-21 at 18:48 +0700, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>

>>> Although I don't know ardours internals very well, I think it
>>> should be very easy. Using Torbehns suggestion to
>>> add an "-export" command to Ardour, the feature can be
>>> implemented like this:
>>>
>>> void update_master_thread(){
>>>    while(true){
>>>       wait(update_master);
>>>       save_session("/tmp/tmp.session"));
>>>       system("ardour -export /tmp/tmp.wav /tmp/tmp.session");
>>>       insert_wav_in_mastertrack("/tmp/tmp.wav");
>>>    }
>>> }
>>>

> this is simply broken for all kinds of reasons that i am not going to
> begin to explain.
>

>>> void ARDOUR::something_has_changed_somewhere_callback(){
>>>   signal(update_master);
>>> }
>>>

>>> It's not a very efficient solution, but maybe good enough.
>>>

> not only will it not work very well, but its more time consuming, more
> problematic and involves more work than the tape mode track solution and
> does save *any* disk space at all!

I would like to point out that saving disk space is not the point of
this feature. It was merely a suggestion for something that *could* have
been achieved if suitable. The point of this functionality is to save
people time from having to record and wait for the master track to be
processed while they are working on a long session.

The idea was to have this process handled in the background while the
user is working on other parts of a mix.

> if this solution is supposed to be "workable" then the tape mode track
> solution should be "fantastic".

Rightly so.

In that case would it be acceptable to have the process automated or is
that just not going to happen?

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd.