[Ardour-Dev] waveform display for master track

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Fri Nov 21 03:48:11 PST 2008

Kjetil S. Matheussen wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Nov 2008, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>
>>> another solution just came to my mind.
>>> this might actually be feasible. (and might be useful in other senses
>>> also)
>>>
>>> how about a separate export command ?
>>> ie non GUI non jack ardour-export
>>> you save a snapshot, and then:
>>> ardour-export <snapshot> <outputs>
>>> runs in background as a separate process, i dont see much sense in
>>> reducing bitrate etc.
>>>
>> I'm not attached to the idea. It was just a thought.
>>
>>> but having the export run in background is a very noble goal
>>> actually ;)
>>>

>> This is the crux of the feature. Everything else is cosmetic.
>>
>> Does anyone care to weigh in on how difficult it would be to put in
>> place? It
>

> Although I don't know ardours internals very well, I think it
> should be very easy. Using Torbehns suggestion to
> add an "-export" command to Ardour, the feature can be
> implemented like this:
>
> void update_master_thread(){
>    while(true){
>       wait(update_master);
>       save_session("/tmp/tmp.session"));
>       system("ardour -export /tmp/tmp.wav /tmp/tmp.session");
>       insert_wav_in_mastertrack("/tmp/tmp.wav");
>    }
> }
>
> void ARDOUR::something_has_changed_somewhere_callback(){
>   signal(update_master);
> }
>

> It's not a very efficient solution, but maybe good enough.

That's almost too simple and I greatly appreciate your assistance with
this code snippet.

I will see what I can do with this as the start point.

I guess I should donate some cash now.  How much is this information worth?

If I have to pay Jorns exhorbitant price of $100/hour then I will be
having to explain to the missus but if it's a little more reasonable
then I will see what I can rustle up...

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd.