[Ardour-Dev] waveform display for master track

Kjetil S. Matheussen k.s.matheussen at notam02.no
Fri Nov 21 03:40:23 PST 2008

On Fri, 21 Nov 2008, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

>> another solution just came to my mind.
>> this might actually be feasible. (and might be useful in other senses
>> also)
>>
>> how about a separate export command ?
>> ie non GUI non jack ardour-export
>> you save a snapshot, and then:
>> ardour-export <snapshot> <outputs>
>> runs in background as a separate process,
>> i dont see much sense in reducing bitrate etc.
>>
> I'm not attached to the idea. It was just a thought.
>
>> but having the export run in background is a very noble goal actually ;)
>>

> This is the crux of the feature. Everything else is cosmetic.
>
> Does anyone care to weigh in on how difficult it would be to put in place? It

Although I don't know ardours internals very well, I think it
should be very easy. Using Torbehns suggestion to
add an "-export" command to Ardour, the feature can be
implemented like this:

void update_master_thread(){
    while(true){
       wait(update_master);
       save_session("/tmp/tmp.session"));
       system("ardour -export /tmp/tmp.wav /tmp/tmp.session");
       insert_wav_in_mastertrack("/tmp/tmp.wav");
    }
}

void ARDOUR::something_has_changed_somewhere_callback(){
   signal(update_master);
}

It's not a very efficient solution, but maybe good enough.