[Ardour-Dev] waveform display for master track

torbenh at gmx.de torbenh at gmx.de
Fri Nov 21 09:02:05 PST 2008

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 06:42:39PM +0700, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> torbenh at gmx.de wrote:

>>> I think you have been confused as to the question.
>>>
>>> I was asking for some clarification on how to implement Torbens
>>> suggestion of running export in the background on a seperate thread.
>>>

>> i think i explained why doing export in a separate THREAD is almost
>> impossible. havin a second PROCESS might do the trick though.
>> this second process, could exchange the wave file in the master track via
>> OSC commands, when the export is finished.
>>

> Ok,
>
> Thanks for clarifying.
>
> Do you see this as being a lot of work to put in place?

not sure actually. it should not be so much work.
libardour should be able to load a session, without, any GUI
involvement.
However you would need to remove the dependency on jack.
You want to do this for a3 ?
in a3 this should be relatively easy, because it has abstracted the
Port. and does not need jack Ports for audio routing.

You would still need some code changes to get in Place. So you need to
continue to convince paul that this is a GOOD feature.
even if it can only export ardour sessions without external clients and
stuff.

I would start like this:
Try to write a program which links to libardour and friends and just loads a
session. Then try to play that session.
This is the first step: GUI less ardour.

This is already a neat feature by itself, which some people might find
usable. (including the TU-berlin)

The second step is more complicated: JACKless ardour.
But the changes are quite localized.
Its merely a design decision where the jack deativation is happening.
(be sure to discuss this with paul and drobilla (assuming you have
convinced them ;))
You should however come up with possible solutions, not asking them how
to do that. Because i dont think they will be completely convinced and
motivated.

--
torben Hohn
http://galan.sourceforge.net -- The graphical Audio language