[Ardour-Dev] waveform display for master track

John Rigg arddev at sound-man.co.uk
Wed Nov 19 02:32:40 PST 2008

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 01:14:49PM +0700, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> Currently the track will be printed in 32bit and that can fill up space
> on the drive. Also you have to specifically record the sections you want
> to look at which takes time.

I think for most Ardour users the extra disk space used will have a
trivial impact compared with the extra processing overhead to convert
it to another format. Seriously, how much does a large hard disk cost
these days? In a large multitrack session with a high plugin count,
even a slight increase in CPU load can break things.

Given the invasive nature of the changes required to implement this,
wouldn't it be a lot more efficient just to write a new application
specifically for making DJ mixes? (I'd actually be a little surprised
if someone isn't already doing this).

John