[Ardour-Dev] waveform display for master track

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Wed Nov 19 02:41:46 PST 2008

John Rigg wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 01:14:49PM +0700, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>
>> Currently the track will be printed in 32bit and that can fill up space
>> on the drive. Also you have to specifically record the sections you want
>> to look at which takes time.
>>

> I think for most Ardour users the extra disk space used will have a
> trivial impact compared with the extra processing overhead to convert
> it to another format. Seriously, how much does a large hard disk cost
> these days? In a large multitrack session with a high plugin count,
> even a slight increase in CPU load can break things.

Then get a faster processor or don't enable the master track code.

> Given the invasive nature of the changes required to implement this,
> wouldn't it be a lot more efficient just to write a new application
> specifically for making DJ mixes? (I'd actually be a little surprised
> if someone isn't already doing this).

I'm not intending to force anything invasive on the current system. I'm
trying to figure out how to automate the mundane task of printing a
master track so that it becomes one less chore for mixing a long
session. If there are ways to leverage my extra processor power to make
it happen in realtime then I am curios to discuss how that could be
achieved but as I stated before I don't think it is a requirement and
may turn out to be completely uneccessary. Given that it's likely to be
a major task to achieve in realtime I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Ardour is a DAW. That means it is trying to make things possible for
many different use cases. This happens to be one of them and the best
part about it is that it can be optional so those who don't have any use
from it will never need to see it in action.

Just like I don't need to automate the faders with a midi controller to
mix a 2 hour long session or even require midi tracks but they are still
a features that people have spent a lot of effort and time to develop.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd.