[Ardour-Dev] Ardour 2.3 build problems

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Mar 4 03:02:21 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Emmas" <johne53 at tiscali.co.uk>
Subject: [Ardour-Dev] Ardour 2.3 build problems

> Hi Paul,
>
> I've encountered another one of my strange "funnies" when building Ardour

In fact, I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that there might be a problem
with Subversion (at least, as far as Ardour's '2.0-ongoing' branch is
concerned).  After posting yesterday - and after the benefit of a good
night's sleep - I realised that my laptop PC (which previously, I thought
had been building correctly) actually hadn't.  It just looked as though it
was getting further than the other machine.

Here are some of the things I've discovered after doing some tests this
morning....

1)  If I 'svn update' from 2.1 to 2.3, scons fails to build
libardour_tranzport.so.  On my distro (64studio) it claims that libusb
isn't installed (libusb IS installed and everything built fine under 2.1).
If I build from a completely fresh checkout, this works as expected.

2)  If I run 'scons install' after building a fresh (Ardour) checkout, it
installs a lot of files having extensions such as ".mo", ".po", ".pot" etc.
None of them seem to get installed if I run 'scons install' after building
the upgraded version (even after scons --clean).

3)  If I build and install from the 'checked out' version, it writes various
new files to /usr/local/etc, /usr/local/bin, /usr/local/share and
/usr/local/share/locale.  None of these are getting installed if I build and
install from the 'updated' version.

I've verified this on two different PC's and saw the same results on both
systems.  Admittedly, both PC's were running 64studio but I doubt that this
is a 64studio problem (nevertheless, I've flagged it up on the 64studio
forum - just so they're aware of it).  I still have an old backup of
OpenSuse available - so without too much trouble, I could try repeating the
experiments with OpenSuse (if that would be useful).  I'll have to leave it
for the moment though because I've really spent too much time on this
already.

John