[Ardour-Dev] Average RMS analyser tool for Ardour

Quentin Harley qharley at wbs.co.za
Wed Mar 5 12:24:31 PST 2008

I am looking for a RMS analyser to use with Ardour and Jamin for
approximating loudness in mastering.  All the other aspects of mastering
you can get right if you have the golden (or goldish) ears, but loudness
is a very subjective thing to measure by ear...

The Ideal would be an offline analysis built into ardour, in which you
can select a track and say "Analyse" - with some statistics following.
Perhaps it could have the same interface as export, so that you could
send your chosen export channels as a selection to be analysed.

That's it for the feature request.  In the mean time I am still stranded.

Which tools are you using, and where did you get it.  The only tool I
could find that looks promising so far is PostQC, but it is still very
far from a viable release at the moment.

I use Steve's meterbridge for all the rest, but the RMS (or perceived
loudness) is a bit evasive.

Any tips appreciated

Quentin