[Ardour-Dev] Recording may channels at once

Kjetil S. Matheussen k.s.matheussen at notam02.no
Wed Jul 9 11:40:37 PDT 2008

On Wed, 9 Jul 2008, Sampo Savolainen wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-07-04 at 13:05 +0200, Kjetil S. Matheussen wrote:
> > I just did some benchmarks recording 128 channels (16 X 8):
> >
> > Recording times before failing, without waveforms while recording:
> > 55s
> > 19s
> > 8s
> >
> > Recording times before failing, with waveforms while recording:
> > 16s
> > 24s
> > 18s
> >
> > I run some other programs in the background accessing the
> > disk, so that could explain the large variations.
>
> Sounds bad though. Can you try the same test so that you use the same
> background load. Preferably no extra load.

I'll do that when I get home.

> Ardour does have extra 128 ports (if mono-mono trakcs), or 256 ports (if
> mono-stereo tracks) compared to jack_capture.

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Are these tracks allways there, or
did you mean 64 ports / 128 ports?

I used 16 8 channel tracks. The
results would probably be much worse with 64 or 128 tracks.

Regarding running jack_capture, it's possible I didn't stop ardour
when doing the test with jack_capture.

> > However, recording times before failing, using jack_capture,
> > 128 channels, 5 second buffer, "$jack_capture -dm -B 5 -c 128" :
>
> Are these parameters correct? jack_capture 0.9.16 tells me that -B
> defines the amount of seconds you are recording ...

Yes, those parameters are correct. Where did you read that
-B defines the amount of seconds you are recording?