[Ardour-Dev] Recording may channels at once

Sampo Savolainen v2 at iki.fi
Wed Jul 9 11:14:06 PDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-07-04 at 13:05 +0200, Kjetil S. Matheussen wrote:
> I just did some benchmarks recording 128 channels (16 X 8):
>
> Recording times before failing, without waveforms while recording:
> 55s
> 19s
> 8s
>
> Recording times before failing, with waveforms while recording:
> 16s
> 24s
> 18s
>
> I run some other programs in the background accessing the
> disk, so that could explain the large variations.

Sounds bad though. Can you try the same test so that you use the same
background load. Preferably no extra load.

Ardour does have extra 128 ports (if mono-mono trakcs), or 256 ports (if
mono-stereo tracks) compared to jack_capture.

> However, recording times before failing, using jack_capture,
> 128 channels, 5 second buffer, "$jack_capture -dm -B 5 -c 128" :

Are these parameters correct? jack_capture 0.9.16 tells me that -B
defines the amount of seconds you are recording ...

> Manually stopped after 7.59 minutes, no failure.

.. and that time conflicts with how I read that parameter.

  Sampo