[Ardour-Dev] Recording may channels at once

Sampo Savolainen v2 at iki.fi
Wed Jul 9 12:08:39 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-09 at 20:40 +0200, Kjetil S. Matheussen wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Jul 2008, Sampo Savolainen wrote:
> > Ardour does have extra 128 ports (if mono-mono trakcs), or 256 ports (if
> > mono-stereo tracks) compared to jack_capture.
> >

> I'm not quite sure what you mean. Are these tracks allways there, or
> did you mean 64 ports / 128 ports?
>
> I used 16 8 channel tracks. The
> results would probably be much worse with 64 or 128 tracks.

I guess the question is what are you doing with the 8 tracks. The
default 8 track channel has only two outputs. So it would mean only 32
extra ports (compared to jack_capture).

Many might want to use 8 channel tracks with 8 separate outputs for each
track. This would mean a lot more outputs.

You can use jack_lsp to check the amount.

> Yes, those parameters are correct. Where did you read that
> -B defines the amount of seconds you are recording?

See the third line of the usage:

v2 at mustis:~/dev/audio/jack_capture-0.9.16$ ./jack_capture --help
Usage: jack_capture  [--bitdepth n] [--bufsize seconds] [--channels n]
[--port port] [filename]
                     [ -b n]        [ -B seconds]       [ -c n]
[ -p port]
..

If it doesn't stand for seconds, what does it mean? --bufsize?

 Sampo