[Ardour-Dev] Build error (linker error)

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Jan 5 10:26:16 PST 2008

I've been building (and running) Ardour for the past year under OpenSuse.
OpenSuse is pretty good - except that I cannot for the life of me get any
debugger to work under it.  My laptop machine runs 64studio and, whilst
gdb is the only debugger I've ever tried with it, gdb seems to work fine
(if a little slowly) on the laptop machine.

Over the Christmas period I decided to create a new partition on my main
development box and install 64studio on it.  Since then, I've got to the
stage of making my first attempt at building Ardour.  AFAIK I've installed
all the necessary libs (including 'dev' versions, where appropriate) but
when it gets to building the 'gtk2_ardour' branch I get this linker error:-

gtk2_ardour/editor_audio_import.o: In function
Editor::import_sndfiles(std::vector<Glib::ustring,
std::allocator<Glib::ustring> >, Editing::ImportMode, ARDOUR::SrcQuality,
long long&, int, int, boost::shared_ptr<ARDOUR::AudioTrack>&)':
gtk2_ardour/editor_audio_import.cc:396: undefined reference to
`pthread_create_and_store(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>,
std::allocator<char> >, unsigned long*, __pthread_attr_s*, void* (*)(void*),
void*)'

...and a couple of other errors that are all undefined references to
'pthread_create_and_store(...)'.  The same code compiles fine under OpenSuse
so I'm a bit baffled as to what might be missing.

Happy new year - and thanks to anyone who can help!!

John