[Ardour-Dev] audible noise at end of crossfades

Giso Grimm gg3137 at vegri.net
Sun Feb 10 20:54:28 PST 2008

In ardour 2.1 (and earlier versions) sometimes an audible click occurs
at the end of long crossfades. I reported this as bug #1737 a few month
ago; now I was able to reproduce it with version 2.1 if (and only if)
the earlier region is higher than the later region. The noise is only
audible if the underlying sounds are appropriate. The click looks like
one sample of the earlier region at the end of the crossfade, and does
probably occur only at long crossfades (see file 'export.wav' attached
to 1737; input files are +0.5 and -0.5 respectively, in the second
crossfade the earlier region was higher).

Although the bug was filed with priority 'normal', I would call this
rather severe, since it distorts the output of ardour produced audio. A
workaround is to make the later region higher.

Giso