[Ardour-Dev] Need a 32 bit Ardour (with VSTs) on an x86_64 linux system

Fons Adriaensen fons at kokkinizita.net
Mon Dec 1 02:26:49 PST 2008

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 06:52:54PM -0500, Mike Mazarick wrote:

> If I had any budget, I would prefer to do this the 'right'
> way instead of the 'quick/free kludge' way.

Unless you have a plugin that implements the complete
processing for WFS, I don't think that using VST is
the way to go.

If you want WFS 'with all options' you will sooner or
later write some dedicated DSP code for it.

But to get something working (with some limits) quickly
consider investing some days in learning to use any of
Csound, SuperCollider, or PureData. All of them will
allow you to build a basic WFS system in a minumum of
time.

Things get more hairy if you want smoothly moving sources,
and in particular if you want things to work correctly
for sources near the line of speakers.

> However, I do like the basic underlying idea of untrained
> people (musicians) hooking up software components as a tool
> to produce something new for them.

I like the idea of musicians experimenting with a working
WFS system, but building one is not something you can do
by just trial and error, without knowing and understanding
the theory.

Ciao,

--
FA