[Ardour-Dev] Need a 32 bit Ardour (with VSTs) on an x86_64 linux system

Kjetil S. Matheussen k.s.matheussen at notam02.no
Mon Dec 1 03:35:56 PST 2008

On Mon, 1 Dec 2008, Paul Davis wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-12-01 at 03:25 +0100, Kjetil S. Matheussen wrote:
>
>> Strange that it's harder to make VST's working in ardour today than 6
>> years ago when the vstserver was still working. If someone just ported
>> the vst->ladspa wrapper to dssi-vst, making special versions
>> of ardour wouldn't be necessary. (No, I don't have time to do that. :-))
>
> Kjetil, this is a bit disingenuous.
>
> The reason for the work Torben & I did on hosting VSTs *inside* Ardour
> was because the vstserver solution works well for things like standalone
> instruments, but it does not scale to 2-3 FX plugins on 16-24 tracks.

Oh no, not this discussion again! :-)
But yes, hosting plugins in the same process is much more
efficient. I'm not so sure, though, if 23-72 out-processed
plugins wouldn't work. The computers are 10 times (?) faster
now than they were 6 years ago, and back then I could
probably run 10-30 vst plugins at once using vstserver.
(Hmm, since my computer is about 6 years old now,
I could actually test that.)