[Ardour-Dev] 2.4 lock edit issue

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Apr 4 05:44:26 PDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sakari Bergen" <sakari.bergen at tkk.fi>
Subject: Re: [Ardour-Dev] 2.4 lock edit issue

> It seems transparency with crossfades has been causing a lot of
> confusion lately. Also I have understood that Paul doesn't like the idea
> of transparency because it is often confusing and the same results can
> be achieved using multiple tracks (and busses) at the point where you
> have the transparent region.
>
> For me the only semantically good reason to use transparency at all, is
> for overlapping regions where I don't want a crossfade,

Sakari - you'll have to trust me on this but that very much depends on the
type of work you do.  For most of Ardour's current market (i.e. music
editing) your comments are perfectly sound.  However, if you've ever needed
to edit dialogue (e.g. for TV, radio or film) you'll know how easy it can be
if your system supports transparency - and how very much more difficult it
becomes if you have to start using multiple tracks and busses.

Admittedly, there aren't many users (if indeed any) working in those fields
at present - but there are some big players currently looking at Ardour for
precisely that purpose.  On the face of it, transparent crossfades might
seem to offer the solution - but they'd probably only be useful where one
fade was contained wholly within the other (e.g. if fadeout and fadein were
both 4secs long, starting and ending at the same time). Suppose you have a
fadeout running from 4secs time to 7secs time, but the fadein runs from
6secs time to 9secs time.  Transparency accommodates this situation
perfectly.  IMHO, some VERY careful thought is needed before transparency
gets removed.  Even if it isn't needed for the music sector, it's a
distinctive feature that would be uniquely useful for other types of work.

John