[Ardour-Dev] 2.4 lock edit issue

Sakari Bergen sakari.bergen at tkk.fi
Fri Apr 4 01:40:07 PDT 2008

John is right here (this was my patch). If the region on top is not
opaque there will be no crossfade, since having a crossfade in a place
like that doesn't make sense. You also have to have "Options ->
Crossfades -> Created Automatically" set to get them automatically.

It seems transparency with crossfades has been causing a lot of
confusion lately. Also I have understood that Paul doesn't like the idea
of transparency because it is often confusing and the same results can
be achieved using multiple tracks (and busses) at the point where you
have the transparent region.

For me the only semantically good reason to use transparency at all, is
for overlapping regions where I don't want a crossfade, but rather make
the top layer transparent. So, what I would like to have is a
"transparent crossfade" option. This would actually make it a lot easier
for me to use transparency as I do.

I understood that transparency has already been dropped from the SAE
version and if it is to be dropped from the "regular" version, I would
be ok with it, as long as I get "transparent crossfades". I'll even
volunteer to code it, if it is something others would want also.

-Sakari-

Sakari Bergen
050 3754859