[Ardour-Dev] Ardour crashes when loading a session

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Wed Sep 5 18:21:59 PDT 2007

On Mon, 3 Sep 2007 15:22:54 -0400
Joe Hartley <jh at brainiac.com> wrote:
> ardour: [ERROR]: JACK: zombified - calling shutdown handler
> ardour: [FATAL]: get_port_total_latency() called with no JACK client connection

Much progress here, initially disguised as failure.  My son managed to get
Ardour 0.99.3 to fail in exactly the same way as under 2.0.5.

It turns out that the culprit here is the use of the CAPS 0.3.0 10-band EQ
plugin.  It's apparently very broken somehow.  Even just attempting to disable
the plugin caused the above "get_port_total_latency() called with no JACK
client" crash!

I'm on CCRMA/FC5, with the 0.3.0 set of CAPS plugins; I just uninstalled
the CCRMA rpm and installed 0.4.2 from source and all seems well, at least
under 0.99.3.  Whew!  I'm sure this will also behave better under 2.0.5.

Thanx, Paul, for all the guideposts.

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com