[ardour-dev] greetings

Brian Wentzloff brian.wentzloff at gmail.com
Thu May 24 17:52:08 PDT 2007

	Hello, Ardour development team. My name is Brian Wentzloff and I am
a soon-graduating student in the University of Memphis' Music
Recording program. Let me first say that I am very excited about this
project. I believe I first heard about it on Digg.com or something. I
have been hanging out on the fringes for several months now, playing
with the software and examining code a little in my free time. I have
to say that Ardour excites me a lot. Personally I get very frustrated
with DigiDesign's and other's limitations (hardware and software),
and I know a lot of music industry professionals feel the same way. I
believe open-source software like Ardour is the wave of the future--
in every industry, not only audio. But since audio is what I know,
its great that this project exists and I can help. I am very anxious
to do what I can.

	So, what is it that I can do, you ask? Like I said, I went through
the Music Recording Technology program at the University of Memphis
(no degree yet, though, I've got a couple gen eds to finish up), and
through that I've gained a lot of experience and knowledge of working
in recording studios and the audio world in general. I am currently
working in a recording studio in Oxford, MS part time. However, I
also have a long history of computer programming. My first several
years in college were as a Computer Science major, and for a decade
previous to that, I've been coding in C++. Its been a couple years
since I've programmed as I've been concentrating on graduating with
the music degree, but I should be able to get my chops back rather
quickly. My career goal is to work in some capacity as a DSP
engineer. I believe that I have the perfect balance of skills between
computer nerd and audio nerd to work effectively at that job. I
consider Ardour as an introduction to that kind of work, so consider
me a sort of intern for you guys. I'm excited to get my hands dirty,
and I'm looking forward to working with all of you on this amazing
piece of software.