[ardour-dev] Project proposal for Ardour

Davide Girlando dado2_714 at yahoo.it
Tue May 8 07:30:04 PDT 2007

(sorry, I had originally sent this message only to Pau)

I've had a quick look at the pitch detection plugin source code, and I
noticed that there isn't really much implementation inside it; it
totally relies on the aubio library functions. I don't want to reinvent
the wheel, but I'm not sure if there's anything around that might do
for my purpose. I want to do a precision conversion, to be able to
track any minimal pitch variation, for instance to recognize a vibrato
above the JND (3 Hz at low frequencies), so an adaptive window system
(larger windows on stable signal and shorter windows on quick-varying
signals) would probably be the best solution. The Clam example looks
more interesting, but I should investigate how precise it is (can it
send only MIDI note outputs or even pitch-shift commands? and how
accurate?). However, I think it should be inside Ardour, and not a
plugin, because it's a typical offline task. Anyway, I plan to start
writing the functional code; then how to integrate it in Ardour is a
later issue.

You should really have a look at some Melodyne screenshots (http://images.google.it/images?q=melodyne): it kind of looks like what I'd want to do, though I didn't know that piece of software when I thought of this project.

I'll step in the IRC chat one of these nights (due to the time difference ;) ).

Thanks again

Davide