[ardour-dev] Project proposal for Ardour

Pau Arumi parumi at iua.upf.edu
Tue May 8 02:04:13 PDT 2007

En/na Davide Girlando ha escrit:
> Hello everyone, I've been a Summer of Code applicant, Paul might
> remember my application. It was a pitch-to-MIDI precision conversion and
> a MIDI-based auto-tuning, aimed at getting the tune off an audio part,
> might it be vocal or instrumental, and correct it by moving MIDI notes
> and pitch-shifting commands (something like what Melodyne does, but
> inside Ardour and with MIDI) or with parametrized commands (maximum
> pitch offset, etc.). Paul commented it was good but beat detection had
> priority (and then neither was done as a SoC project, maybe because of
> the lack of available projects). I would like to carry on this project
> nevertheless, and I already got it accepted as two University projects
> (the pitch-tracking and auto-tuning parts separately). I'll have tutors
> from my University helping me understand which are the best algorithms
> and how to implement them;

You might also be interested in existing free-software projects
which have implementations of pitch-tracking. For example aubio
(which is also wrapped as a vamp plugin), and clam:

http://www.vamp-plugins.org/download.html
http://clam.iua.upf.edu

In clam we have a user interface program called Voice2MIDI
http://clam.iua.upf.edu/screenshots/Voice2MIDI.png
And now one of the Google SoC projects is heading towards
improving it and porting it to real-time among other things.
You can also have a look at clam's pitch shift and pitch
discretization transformations. Feel free to ask questions in
the clam lists.

Best,
Pau